Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fruit of a Small Study Group

We had our small group last night, and I have to say it was amazing. It is unreal to understand the profound effect that this type of setting can have on an individual as well as the entire group. Our group was comprised of 11 people, and each shared very personal, yet so very real details of their life, their faith, inspiration and acknowledgement of how God is real in their lives, and how he is acting upon them, their families and guiding them. Important points given the reality of how many Christians view God today, interpret God today, or respond to God today.

I think for me , it was very real in the fact that many times I pray about things in my life, or the lives of others, thinking to myself that God won't answer, I am not worthy of an answer, God doesn't think I should be blessed with this, or that, or that I am not strong enough in my faith to have God listen to my prayers for others.

A few of our group members discussed feeling the same way as I have at times, and still do at times, and I didn't feel so alone, so alienated from God anymore. I also did not speak up at the group as I should have done. But it also occurred to me to think about the paragraph I just wrote, and analyze it in terms of keywords, to get a glimpse into why many I feel the way I do sometimes. Below is the same paragraph with keywords pointed out in parenthesis:

I (keyword: I) think for me (keyword: ME), it was very real in the fact that many times I (keyword: I) pray about things in my (keyword: MY) life, or the lives of others, thinking to myself (keyword: MYSELF) that God won't answer, I (keyword: I) am not worthy of an answer, God doesn't think I (keyword: I) should be blessed with this, or that, or that I (keyword: I) am not strong enough in my (keyword: MY) faith to have God listen to my (keyword: MY) prayers for others.

See, it sums up my problem. MY problem. The entire paragraph was focused on me, myself and I. Not on God, or others, even though I may pray for others, about others and try to commune with the Lord, I have focused my attention on myself (which in this case seems to be something I do more than I should). Myself. That is the problem so many of us face, is we feel inadequate to go before God to seek His wisdom, His answers, His blessings. Satan tells us that we should focus on ourselves, our apparent (or not so apparent) short-fallings and the fact that by nature we are sinful creatures that are not deserving.

The word of God, however, tells us differently. Why would the Lord instruct us to Pray without ceasing, if he had no intention of answering them (according to His will of course)? If we truly believe that the Bible is God's true word, why do we doubt that He will keep His word to us? Because Satan is the father of fear, doubt and lies.

The other aspect that should be examined is the fact that we focused our prayers, expected results and ultimate satisfaction upon the wrong focal point, ourselves. It is easy to pray that God's will be done, but it is just as easy to not truly believe and want that, especially when focused upon ourselves (many times not even knowing what we are focused on). If we feel that we are not worthy of what God wants to give us, do for us, or allow us to do, we fall right into Satan's plan to pull us away from our Heavenly Father, the Creator, the one who promised never to leave or forsake us. We are sinful and unworthy, but the price for that has been paid, surpassing comprehension many times. God's Grace Is Sufficient. With that grace comes the promise that we are held to higher things than what is on this Earth, yet we can still receive the true Blessings of God spiritually, physically and mentally while working His will in our life on Earth, to glorify our King in Heaven. The reward? The greatest gift of all (if you are a saved child of God) eternity in Heaven with our Lord. The perks? Untold blessings here on Earth, even while we may be persecuted, suffering, and feeling like we are losing the battle.

Scripture for this post (KJV):

Matthew 7:7-11
7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10
Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

And in this passage the word evil, in my interpretation, equates to sinful, though if you have discussion about that, feel free to leave a comment, or email me.

No comments: